Skip to main content

EDIBLE WATER

Some of you might be thinking, 'There's a typo in the topic! Edible Water? Does that sort of thing even exist?'
Well, FYI, it does.
That's exactly what we will be discussing today.

As you all know, plastic water bottles were harmful to the environment, and as a result, bio-plastic was being invented. Sure, bio-plastic was environment-friendly, and when we would throw it, it would decompose.
So you would be asking, "What was the need to invent edible water?".

Well, we could not eat bio-plastic, could we now?
But because of this new invention, we can eat our water bottle! How cool would that be? 
This was invented by William Peschardt and is termed as 'Ooho' (Wierd name?)

Your next question would probably be, "How does edible water taste?"
I haven't tried it yet, because it is just recently introduced and is only available in some areas, like - London, San Francisco, and Boston.
But, I am informed that it is made up of seaweed extract, and is actually tasteless, but flavors can be added to it.

For nerds (which is a compliment) who might be reading this page, I would like to give a brief explanation of this.
Edible Water is developed by a process known as 'Spherification'. This process was introduced a long time ago, but has recently been put to use, to create this edible, bio-degradable capsule!
The principle of making this edible water involves dipping a ball of ice in a mixture of calcium chloride and brown algae extract. As the ice melts, the membrane stays intact, creating a gelatinous contained ball of water. 

Now, there is also a bonus.
Wait for it...
You can also make this at home! 
Yes, you heard me right.
 All your doubts about whether it tastes good will be cleared, once you make it at home.

INGREDIENTS:

  1. 1 g of sodium alginate (a natural substance derived from brown seaweed)
  2. 5 g of food-grade calcium lactate (a type of salt that can be found commonly in cheese and gum)
  3.  one bowl filled with 1 cup of drinking water
  4. Another bowl filled with 4 cups of water
  5. Another bowl filled with water for rinsing off the “bottles”
  6. An immersion blender or a regular blender
  7.  A measuring spoon
STEPS:

  1. Add 1 g of sodium alginate to 1 cup of water. Then use an immersion blender to dissolve the sodium alginate. Once you’re confident that it’s dissolved, set the mixture aside to get rid of any air bubbles that may have formed during blending.
  2. Add 5 g of calcium lactate to 4 cups of water and mix well using a spoon.
  3. Scoop up some of your sodium alginate solution using a deep spoon. Very carefully plop the sodium alginate into the calcium lactate bath. Repeat with the remaining sodium alginate but do not crowd the bath.
  4. Stir the sodium alginate bubbles very gently for 3 minutes.
  5. After 3 minutes, remove the “bottles” from the calcium lactate bath using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a water bath to stop the reaction.
Your DIY edible water is now finished!

I hope this page helped you, and please let me know in the comments down below if you tried making this DIY Ooho!

Stay tuned for more.

Over and out.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION

What you are going to read on my blog aren't fictional stories... they are real - from my own experience. But of course, humans are fictional. I hear you asking - Why? Why am I fictional? I would like you to ask yourself, who decides what you do next?  You'd say, "That's easy. Me. I decide my next action". Do you really? Or are you just one of the puppets on Earth that are controlled by God? I would like you to give this theory a thought. Anyways, that is not what I'm here to talk about on this page. I would like to introduce myself here. I'm a 13-year-old who observes the world in a different aspect. But then again, every person observes the world from a different aspect, don't they? This blog is going to be about my personal experience - or - other's experiences. I have always dreamed of being a journalist - to hear about other people's experiences and study their thoughts too. So, as you read every post, you will read my thoughts about a spe...

SURVIVING THE PANDEMIC

We are in the midst of a pandemic that is seen once in a century, so I decided that I would discuss this topic as my first post. Now, I'm not going to discuss how you should keep washing hands or wear masks or keep practicing social distancing (although you should), but instead, I'm going to discuss how this changed your life, and how lucky you are. You heard me right, I just said that you are lucky. I expect you are making a horrified face and saying, "We are suffering so much, and this girl comes out of nowhere to tell us that we are lucky!". Well, no matter how bad this situation is, and how we all are feeling that we are in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, you are lucky. You see, everyone has a story to tell. You will have a really cool one. Imagine that you have to write a book. How cool would it be, if your book has a plot of a zombie apocalypse, (known as the coronavirus)! I had started writing a book called, 'How I survived the Pandemic', but I don...